The Consequences of Learning


Leonardo da Vinci once said that 'learning never exhausts the mind'.  I really have to disagree.  I'm a naturally curious person and I love collecting knowledge and skills, but after the past year my mind is thoroughly exhausted.

My job is changing, due to some downsizing and re-structuring.  It has been very stressful on several levels, but it has also meant that I have had to quickly learn several different new software programmes and procedures.  Changes keep coming quick and fast, and that makes the learning (and un-learning) very tiring.

I'm also learning in my chosen job, as a freelance writer.  Marketing, promotion, website design and the maintenance of a mailing list was not exactly something I was trained in during my twelve years  of studying Tudor history (shocking, I know).  Which software is best?  How often should I post?  What would be the most effective content?  How much of my personal life should I reveal?  It's quite the balancing act.

The web is full of information about how incredibly valuable lifelong learning is.  Apparently learning new things engages the substantia nigra in the brain, which increases dopamine levels and makes you more peaceful and content.  

I'm really hoping that kicks in soon.  Right now, I'm just tired.


Comments