Well, that was odd


The last few weeks have been a little strange.  I have wondered, every now and then, if I'm in some strange parallel universe where nothing quite makes sense.  Why?  Well, I won't give you a lot of details because we need to protect the innocent, but here are some examples.


  • I danced the Charleston in the salon of a stately home.
  • I had to hand-wash a pair of trousers in a hotel and hang them out the window to dry, because I forgot to pack an extra pair.  It didn't really fit the hotel's aesthetic, but at least they blended in with the flower baskets.
  • I got so sick I actually pulled a muscle while coughing.
  • I visited the waterfall where Kevin Costner once went skinny dipping.  The rocks are still blushing.
  • I saw a phantom grey lady climbing a staircase in Leeds Castle and nearly had a heart attack.
  • I drank tea at Downton Abbey.
  • I cooked onions in butter and wrapped them up in a towel to make a greasy sort of decongestant poultice and cure my mother's cold.  It was her grandmother's remedy and no, it didn't work.
  • I waited in a queue for an hour so I could buy a little family of ghosts.

It was not at all what I expected my holiday to be.  I enjoyed it, but I'm glad to be back at my desk, safely ensconced in the sixteenth century.  I've had enough adventures for now. 

Comments