Ravens or Results?

I recently applied for British citizenship, so I'm waiting for results.

I also recently started following the Ravenmaster on Facebook (as previously mentioned), and I can't decide which of the two topics I want to discuss today.  The Ravenmaster has an incredible job, a beautiful and perceptive eye for nature, and access to all the corners of the Tower I long to see.

But - I've wanted to be British since I was nine and first read The Chronicles of Narnia.

The Ravenmaster wrote a book, which I also read this week.  Couldn't put it down.  It was a fascinating story about the myths and legends of ravens, and the hilarious quirky personalities of the Tower ravens themselves.

But - it was a long and involved process, applying for citizenship.  Not to mention expensive...hmm. I definitely shouldn't talk about that part.  It's Friday, and I would rather not start the weekend with a panic attack.

The Ravenmaster can get close to the ravens, resulting in some very counter-intuitive photos.  Raven feathers aren't simply flat matte black; they can shimmer with iridescent colours.  It's like they are the remnants of a magical age, holding an ancient monument together.  

But - it's a real relief to talk about how it feels to wait for results (in short, it feels like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid and worrying it might be cancelled).  My poor family and friends have put up with enough of it, so it feels good to type it out.  A pressure valve has been released.

The Ravenmaster was the inspiration for a previous blog, about the Tower chapel.  I can call another raven-related post a sequel, or a follow-up, though some people might want to roll their eyes and mutter 'more like an obsession'.  But I will respond by saying 'obsession' is a little strong, thank you very much.

Even though..today, the ravens win.    

 






Comments