Just Get Over It

I have a panic disorder.  That means that I have a broken 'fight or flight' response, so I get overwhelmed by fear very easily.  I have some specific triggers, but I can also suddenly find myself paralysed with terror for no discernable reason.

And for some reason, many people think that there is a simple cure.  'Just get over it'.  'Forget about it'.  And best yet, 'face your fears'.  Freaking out in a crowd?  Put yourself into every mass of people you can.  Having an attack because you feel trapped and helpless?  Put yourself in a box. 

It's maddening.  I can't 'get over it' - trust me, if I could I would.  I certainly can't 'forget about it'...it affects my life every single day.  And facing fear in increasing implements might be a good idea to get over a phobia or prepare for a new challenge, but it is just useless torment for a medical condition like this. 

Triggers are always triggers.  On a good day, I might be able to hold in the panic and keep functioning.  On a bad day - such as when I'm tired, or when I have already fought against other triggers that day - I will dissolve.  And even though I have strategies to help me keep going and reduce the number of attacks, once it happens there is nothing I can do about it.

So please, don't tell me to 'get over it'.  Trust me, I am already doing all I can.  Every day, every hour, every minute.  And I have accepted that I won't get over it.  I'll get through it.


Comments