Ancient Self-Expression


Yesterday, I was looking up ancient Latin mottos, and I found a delightful book from 1866 called Choice of Emblems.  There was a whole list of mottos inside that I had never heard before, and each one held a wealth of emotions: happy, sad, cynical,  hopeful or (surprisingly) threatening.  It showed very clearly that a few small words could send a very big message.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of the mottos expressed warrior hubris, my favourite being audaces fortuna iuvat:  fortune helps the daring.  I also found quite a bit of pessimism, notably interminabilis humanse vitee labor, which means 'endless the labour of human life'.  One can almost hear the sigh that follows that one.  The funniest, I think, was ludus, luctus, luxus:  gaming, grief, gluttony.  I guess that person knew what they were doing for the weekend.

I want to leave you with three mysterious ones.  What do you think is the backstory for these?
  • In studiosum captum amore:  on the student caught by love
  • Scribit in marmore laesus: being injured he writes on marble
  • Sobrie potandum: we must drink soberly

Comments